|Rolling Up a Nova|
|1. Pick an
Origin; where did your character come from. Check the Origins
page. What is your character's back story, where did they come from
and who are they. All players are human, but can be of any race (black,
white, Hispanic, Japanese etc). You also need to pick a homeland, or nation.
You could come from a space station, the Lunar Bases, Mars, Mercury colonies,
the Venus Station, Saturn or Uranus stations or from the Asteroid Belt.
Most people come from earth, followed by those from earth orbiting stations
or the Moon. People who don't live in what is called Local Space are few
and far between. Novas come from a classified location, Aberrants come from
the Tainted areas.
2. The Series is the campaign; Contact Coalition, Dan. You have joined Aeon Trinity to help fight the Aberrant threat and to try and unite the world against the coming alien threat.
4. 4. Allegiance: Divis Mal, Tegan, Aberrant Cult, Nippon, or Eden
3. Choose Nature and Demeanor: the character's nature is used to recharge a character's Willpower.
5. Attributes: The physical, mental and social stats for your character. The Attributes come in 3 groups and all start at 1 point. You then select your primary, secondary and tertiary Attributes. You get:
7 points for your Primary Attributes
5 points for your Secondary Attributes
3 points for your Tertiary Attributes.
Chose between Physical, Mental and Social. Then spend the points among the subcategories. Later you will buy Abilities in the subcategories for your Attributes.
Spend your points in (type) Attribute:
|You must pick either Physical, Mental or Social
as one of your Primary, Secondary or Tertiary groups that you spend the
points in. For example you could chose to be a Strong Character and take
(Physical) as your primary group. You could spend 3 points for Strength,
3 points for Stamina and 1 point for Dexterity (you might be a little clumsy).
Next you need to decide which one is going to be your secondary group; either
Mental or Social. Spend 5 points in your Secondary; say 1 in Perception,
2 in Intelligence and 2 in Wits. Next you spend your points for your Tertiary
group; say 2 in Appearance and 1 in Manipulation. Later you will get bonus
points to spend, so this isn't final. If you have 4 or more points in an
Attribute you get a Quality (maximum of 3). A Quality allows you to roll
again whenever you roll a 10 while rolling for that stat. This differs from
Specialties that give you and extra dice to roll. If you are really good
at one area both can apply.
6. Abilities: 13 points to spend maximum attribute is 5 points. The maximum one Ability can have is 10 points, but that is rare. Most of the Abilities are the same as with Psions. But, Under Wits Biz replaces Meditation. Meditation is used o recover psi points and not needed. Biz is business savvy and was needed in the media and corporate driven world of Aberrants (for Psions savvy is a wider range that covers Biz). Under the Social Attributes Command is assigned to Charisma rather than Manipulation and instead of Savvy Aberrants have Streetwise, which is similar. These points can only be spent on the Abilities listed on the character sheet.
|7. Nova Points: used to buy Quantum
powers and mega attributes. No mega attribute can be higher than the base
attribute. You have Five points to spend. The
maximum Nova points a character can have in one stat is 5. Quantum is the
difference between normal baseline humans and Aberrants; it is a measure
of the extraordinary, even super powers that can be used by Aberrants. Each
point of Quantum (how fast energy can be spent) gives Aberreants, of the
Trinity Era, one point of Taint (this does not hold true for those from
Eden, they gain a point of Taint for every 5 points of Quantum). Each
Nova starts out with 1 Quantum, but Aberrants start with 3. Quantum
can go as high as 6 points (see below). A point of Taint always
creates an Aberrantion in the character, either a deraignment or a visible
mutation. Most Novas with high Taint have larger heads. Quantum Pool (how
Aberrants and Novas get to spend their powers) starts at 20
+ (Quantum x 2). A Quantum Pool is recharged by resting. A character
can drain their life; taking one Lethal Health level to generate 2 Quantum
Pool points, but those points only last for three turns. A character can
max out their Quantum Powers, by spending one point of Willpower and a number
of Quantum Pool points generating a dice pool. Each success out of that
dice pool can be "spent" to boost the Aberrant's next turn use
of quantum power. This requires a full round of concentration. These points
can be "spent" on the following:
Damage/Successes at the rate of one for one.
Soak at the rate of one for one.
Area Attack; doubling a normal attack.
To double range or speed.
To double a power's duration.
To buy Extras at the rate of 2 successes for 1 extra.
Unless otherwise specified maximized powers last for 1 turn.
8. Advantages; are Knowledge, Skills, Talents, Background, Flaws and Merits. They further develop the character's background. Backgrounds are written on the character sheet, your Flaws and Merits are written on the back (Backgrounds are explained on Aeon page 186). You have 7 points to spend on backgrounds. Aberrants can pick up Backgrounds, Flaws, Knowledges, Merits, and Skills just like psions can. Dormancy is the power to dam down your Aberrant abilities and powers so you can pass as a human. It can also be used to damp down Taint, but not remove it. Node is the use of the Mazarin-Rashoud node responsible for giving Aberrants their Quantum Powers. Development of the node allows more Quantum Points to be spend per round and a greater recovery of the Quantum Pool. You will have to check the Background sheet for some backgrounds and it will refer you to the proper website(s). Not all backgrounds will work, some are written only for Vampires. Discuss each Background that you take with the DM.
9. Novas gain one point of Taint for each 5 Quantum Points. An Aberrant gains one point of Taint for each point in their Quantum Pool. An Aberrant gains one point of Taint for each point in their Quantum Pool. All the original Novas are gone or turned in Aberrants. Temporary Taint can be gained; each 10 points of Temporary Taint creates one point of Permanent Taint. Temporary Taint can be acquired:
Expending a point of Willpower to max out a roll and botching that roll.
Attempting to recharge their Quantum Pool by making a Stamina + Node roll and botching that roll.
Reveling in their Mental Disorders can also cause temporary Taint.
Temporary Taint can be bleed off by going for a month without using your powers at more than 50% and not botching any roll. Roll Willpower with a +1 Difficulty per point of temporary Taint. Success on the roll bleeds off one point, Three or more successes bleed off two points of Taint. Failure means no Taint is bleed off and a botch means that one point of Permanent Taint is gained. There is no way to remove Permanent Taint. Aberrants and Novas cannot buy Tainted Powers at a discount as is standard in the early 21st century. Taint always manifests itself as a physical or mental disorder. (See Aberrant page 152 and Mental Disorders section of How to Play the game.)
10. You have 15 bonus points to spend anywhere on your character sheet that you want; including Attributes, Abilities, Backgrounds, Flaws or Merits. You can't take any Attribute past 5 points.
|Trait||Cost per Dot||Trait||Cost Per Dot|
|Speciality (max 3/Ability)||1||Quantum||7|
|11. Novas start with 1
Node, including those from Eden. Novas from Japan receive more training
and so start with Node 2.
12. 30 Nova points to raise Quantum, Quantum Poll, Traits, Backgrounds, Abilities or Mega Attributes. Quantum powers can start at 3 and go as high as 7. Normally Aberrants can use Taint to discount the cost of powers, but not in the 22nd century. All Aberrants are tainted. Players are not meant to have Aberrant abilities, the game would not be balanced with player character Aberrants. Taint causes various obvious physical disorders and changes as well as mental disorders. Most Aberrants suffer mental disorders. Spending Nova Points.
|Trait||Cost per Dot||Trait||Cost per Dot|
|Enhancement||3||3 Attribute Points||1|
|Quantum||5||6 Ability Points||1|
|Quantum Power (Level 1)||1||5 Background Points||1|
|Quantum Power (Level 2)||3||Willpower||1|
|Quantum Power (Level 3)||5|
|When you take 4 or more
points in an Attribute or Ability you get to take a Specialty. Write
your Specialty down next to the Attribute or Ability Stat. Specialties let
your roll one more 1d10 when using that Ability. Look at important stats
like Stamina and Willpower (Stamina and Willpower don't get a Quality or
Specialty) to see if you want to increase them, or even your PSI rating.
12. Record your special stats:
Willpower starts at 5 points.
Initiative (Dexterity + Wits)
Quantum Pool = Quantum + (Quantum Level x 2)
Walk 5 meters/round
Run at Dexterity + 12 meters/round
Sprint at [Dexterity x 3] +20 meters/round
13. Novas and Aberrants start with 3 dots in Endurance and Resistance due to their superior stamina.
14. Determine Traits (Aeon page 162)
· What do you look like
· What are your Quirks?
· Your race
· Who is important in your life?
· What are your motivations?
· Novas and most Aberrants speak English, any more languages costs 1 background point.
|Quick Aberrant/Nova Character
1. Concept; choose your Origin
2. Select your Demeanor and Nature, you can use the same for both.
3. Write down the series; "Contact Coalition, Dan".
4. Spend 13 points among your Attributes picking each group and spending 7, 5, or 3 points among them as you determine. Chose between Physical, Mental and Social.
Spend 7 points among your primary group.
Spend 5 points among your secondary group.
Spend 3 points among your tertiary group.
5. Allegiance: Divis Mal, Tegan, Aberrant Cult, or Eden
6. Abilities: 13 points to spend maximum attribute is 5 points. Each point of Quantum earns 1 point of Taint. Novas gain one point of Taint per 5 Quantum points.
7. Nova Points: used to buy Quantum powers and mega attributes. No mega attribute can be higher than the base attribute. Five points to spend. The maximum Quantum points a character can have in one stat is 5. Quantum Pool (how Aberrants and Novas get their powers) starts at 20 + (Quantum Level x 2).
8. Use 7 points to purchase your Knowledge, Skills, Talents, Background, Flaws and Merits. Quantum = 20 + (Quantum X 2).
|9. Novas start with 1 point of Taint per 5 points of Quantum. Aberrants start with one point of Taint per point in their Quantum Pool. Japanese Novas have no Taint. Temporary Taint is possible for all Novas and Aberrants.|
|10. Spend 15 bonus points in any area.|
|Trait||Cost per Dot||Trait||Cost per Dot|
|Specialties (3/Ability max)||1||Quantum||7|
|11. Aberrants and Eden Novas start with 1 Node, Japanese Novas start with 2 Node.|
|12. 30 Nova points
to raise Quantum, Quantum Pool, Traits, Backgrounds, Abilities, Mega Attribues,
Quantum powers can start at 3 and go as high as 9.
Determine your Specialties if any (you get a Specialty if you have 4 or more dots in an Ability).
13. Record your Willpower (5),
Initiative (Dexterity + Wits)
Quantum Pool = Quantum + Quantum Level x 2)
Movement speeds: Walk: 5 meters per round
Run: [Dexterity + Wits] meters per round
Sprint: ([Dexterity x3]+20) meters per round
14. Aberrants start with 3 points in Endurance and Resistance
15. Determine Traits (Aeon page 162)
What do you look like
What are your Quirks?
Who is important in your life?
What do you own, based on your resources.
What are your motivations?
Most Aberrants and all Novas speak English, any more languages costs 1 background point.
NOTE: If I were to allow Player Characters to be Novas to keep with the power level of Psions I would cut their Nova points down from 30 to 15. Even then that may not be enough restrictions, Aberrants are just that powerful. A psion who wore a VARG (Power Armor) and was able to defeat an Aberrant single handed became a media sensation for this feat. Aberrants are very tough to defeat!
Table of Contents